- O-Town Hoedown 2013 - Ottawa Start (press release)
- O-Town Hoedown organizers announced today that 14 artists will perform over two weekends during the seventh annual O-Town Hoedown which will run September 27th- to 30th- and October 4th and 5th2013 in Ottawa. The O-Town Hoedown is a concert series which will take place in six venues in Ottawa (Atomic Rooster, Fatboys Smokehouse, The Hintonburg Public House, and Pressed Cafe on the first weekend, The Rainbow Bistro and Irene‚Äôs Pub on the second weekend), and will showcase the diversity of the Canadian alt-country scene. Musical genres on offer will range from honky tonk country to rockabilly to folk-rock to bluegrass and everything in between. This year‚Äôs musical acts will include: The Allens, Dang Guilty, The Kingmakers, Lynne Hanson, Ol‚Äô Savannah, No Kinds of Love, The Bushpilots, The Bible All-Stars, Shakedown Combo, Ninety Pounds of Ugly, Christian D and the Hangovers, and many more. Founded in 2007, the O-Town Hoedown is the creation of local country music performer and impresario, Lefty McRighty, however this year he has turned over the organization of the event to Ottawa music scene mainstay "Standup" Steve Donnelly. CHUO 89.1FM, and CKCU 93.1FM continue to act as sponsors as in previous years.
- That Christian D! An Interview.
- So who is Christian D? What makes this singer/songwriter totally magnetic in terms of music and presentation? Well, a lot of things actually but I will just state the obvious. He‚Äôs got the attitude that will make you want to listen what he says or what he sings about. Lyrically and musically, he‚Äôs compelling. And he lives to the occasion as he is our featured artist along with this interview. Check this out and spread the vibes! [Read More...]
- Christian D & the Hangovers take us to the Church of Rockabilly | life ...
- "Christian D... took us to the Church of Rockabilly (and cow punk and rock ‚Äėn roll) ...these guys had us stomping our feet and bopping our heads, and shaking it in front of the stage. The place was jammed and everyone had a blast" [Read More...]
- Meiron Blackstien makes hand-crafted guitars - Canadian Jewish News
- Here's a piece from the Canadian Jewish News on bass slapper Meiron "Mack Black" Blackstien. He slaps the dog house, runs The Six String Garage and keeps our gear in fine form!
... makes hand-crafted guitarsCanadian Jewish NewsAlthough he plays double bass in a local band, Christian D and the Hangovers, he still takes guitar lessons. Blackstien started tinkering with guitars shortly after he started playing one at home. [Read More...]
- Feature Interview
- There are certain bands that come to mind automatically when you mention a city or country. And the rockabilly group Chrisitan D And The Hangovers are one of those bands that jump out at you when you mention Toronto.
Christian D and The Hangovers have been going at it for a long time and their live shows are living proof that they know how to rock the house at any time of the day or night. [Read More...]
- A toast to The Hangovers
- Christian DeArmond doesn‚Äôt seem to give a toss what tags critics use to describe the music that his band, Christian D & the Hangovers, makes. I didn‚Äôt ask, but I‚Äôm guessing he‚Äôs pretty comfy with psychobilly.
With a style that looks to The Cramps, Nick Cave and Elvis, The Hangovers belt out distorted, punky rockabilly on record and on stage as if their lives depended on it. [Read More...]
- Rockabilly alive, well at The Dominion - Toronto Sun
- Rockabilly alive, well at The DominionToronto SunTomorrow night, Tennessee Voodoo Coupe headlines East End Rockabilly Riot 9 and the triple bill includes The Greasemarks and Christian D and the Hangovers. As Faris does at every EERR, he'll be spinning ‚Äúrevved-up rockabilly. ...and more »
- A guitar man's swingin' feat - Toronto Star
- Here's an article on bass man Meiron "Mack Black" Blackstein's other life as a Guitar Custom & Repair Shop owner- check him out- it's definitely where we get all our work done!
Living your dream often isn‚Äôt easy, especially when you choose a way that a lot of people who have tried insist won‚Äôt work.
‚ÄúThey kept telling me you can either build guitars or fix guitars,‚ÄĚ says Meiron Blackstien. ‚ÄúThey said you can‚Äôt do both. It‚Äôs a totally different mind space.‚ÄĚ
In the Parkdale shop he calls The Six String Garage, Blackstien is aiming to prove them wrong.
- Christian D and the Hangovers - Toronto Live! Chronicles - Posterous
- Christian D and the Hangovers - "Life Gets in the Way" (Cadillac Lounge, October 15, 2010). My friend, Kelly Truesdale, captures some great video of live bands in Toronto and surrounding areas. [Read More...]
- Vents Interviews: Christian D. and the Hangovers
- Christian D. and the Hangovers. What's the meaning behind the band's name? C: My name is Christian- so that's fairly obvious, & The Hangovers is probably a reference to our beer swilling seat of your pants live show- but Dano from the Von Drats named the band, so you'd have to ask him. [Read More...]
- Wildy's World full review
- From the dark underbelly of Toronto, where urban cowboys moonlight in the psychobilly clubs comes Christian D And The Hangovers. Mixing early rock n roll with punk, country and lots of beer, Christian D And The Hangovers do for rockabilly what Big Rude Jake does for big band music. After the well-received Life Gets In The Way EP, released in 2008, Christian D And The Hangovers had to go full length to build on their legacy. Build on it they have with the dynamic Shake It...Or Leave It! This is an album you can't put down. [Read More...]
- Christian D and The Hangovers | Steve Clayton Official Blog
- We are excited to announce Christian D and the Hangovers have signed with Clayton. What a display of energy this band shows in their photos. [Read More...]
- Blue Suede News review of "Shake it Or Leave It!"
- "Shake It or Leave It!" showcases the Hangovers upbeat rootsy Rock over a compact 12 song, 35 minute set, short and sweet without any filler.... Two of the best songs on the album stake out new territory. Opener "Vampire Rocker," storms out of the gate in a fury of pounding drums, fiery guitars and yelped vocals, a horror-themed number with a Psychobilly edge. And "Mr. Handsome" is an unexpected change of pace, a sinister serial killer tale featuring some great tremelo-fueled twangy guitar." [Read More...]